[Tagging] Grouping buildings together using relations

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 10:14:53 UTC 2021

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 10:57, stevea <steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2021, at 1:45 AM, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Joseph,
> > The multipolygon solution is OK as long as you do not have to include
> node-type objects.
>
> AFAIK, node objects are just fine in multipolygons.  They are uncommon,
> but they are OK.  There is no "prohibition" against them.

I derived my statement from the fact that the multipolygon wiki page
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Relation:multipolygon&oldid=2042674>
only talks about  areas:
" Relations <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation> of type
*multipolygon* are used to represent complex areas."
And the two lines in the "site" wiki page, that read:
"Reasons for Area/Multipolygon Insufficiency

   - Members are nodes <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Node> or open
   ways <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Way>"

Volker