[Tagging] Grouping buildings together using relations

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sun Jan 10 10:42:42 UTC 2021

(Once again), I have been bitten by the commonly confused subtle distinctions between relations tagged type=multipolygon and relations tagged type=boundary.  The latter can indeed contain node members (with well defined member tags like admin_center and label).  The former cannot (well, should not).  We had to coin the latter as a distinct “real thing different from” the former.

> On Jan 10, 2021, at 2:19 AM, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> I would consider (boundary relation) as an exception and continue applying this rule.
>
> (underground features are other tricky issue here)

So, we have “an exception to the rule” (which many DO know about, but which is easily and often confused, at least by me and I suspect others), and we have “other tricky issues here.”

I’ll say it one more time:  it isn’t easy to do this.  It’s like multi-dimensional chess.  It’s no wonder that many get confused.  Here we are:  we who profess to be well-versed in what it takes to talk about these topics and even we notice “tricky issues” and “exceptions to rules.”  Let’s offer patience to the process and cut each other lots of slack here, as the required untangling can be (is) difficult and fraught with pitfalls.  Getting to “the right answer” or even “A right answer” can get messy and take time.