[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tailing ponds

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 17:36:42 UTC 2021

I'm pretty happy with man_made=tailing_pond though I would also go with
water=tailings, like water=wastewater for open sewage treatment facilities.

I also would note that not all of these are "ponds" or "basins" in format.
Some are clearly valleys which are impounded with a dam., with the same
form and shape as a water reservoir, though with a different usage,  e.g.
on the proposal page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Sunokobashi_Tailings_Dam_survey_1976.jpg
- this clearly has a large dam at the south end.

In contrast
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Wheal_Jane_settling_pits.jpg and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:B├╝tzflethermoor_Rotschlammdeponie_Luftaufnahmen_2012-05-by-RaBoe-478-1.jpg
are formed by building up dykes/levees around rectangular ponds.

Does this matter? Currently that's the distinction between landuse=reseroir
and landuse=basin - whether it's a valley with a dam or an artificial basin
created by re-grading the land. I suppose if we are not using natural=water
it doesn't matter as much.

-- Joseph Eisenberg