[Tagging] RFC 2 - addr:interval

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Sun Jan 10 17:38:20 UTC 2021

On 1/9/2021 11:33 AM, Sarah Hoffmann wrote:
>> I know I'm getting ahead of the story here, but hypothetically, given
>> the tags addr:housenumber=1-3 and addr:interval=all, in addition to
>> matching 1, 2, and 3, would Nominatim also still match the entire string
>> "1-3"?
> That would be technically quite easy to do, yes. I haven't given
> any thought to an acutal implementation though. It all depends on
> the outcome of this discussion.
>
> Sarah

At this point my biggest hesitation about this proposal is the
possibility that geocoders might implement it in such a way that a
search for "1-3" would no longer return a feature tagged with
addr:housenumber=1-3, if that feature is also tagged with addr:interval.

See the example I posted earlier, Hercules Heat Treating Corporation
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/250351628 at 101-113 Classon Avenue in
Brooklyn NY. The housenumber is indeed a range, and it would be correct,
under this proposal, to tag it with addr:interval=odd (or
addr:interval=2.) But this business uses the entire range as a single
housenumber in their official address, as seen on their building and
their website (and, I'd bet, on their printed matter as well.)

Currently this works great in Nominatim: Searches for 101, 113, and
101-113 Classon Avenue all find this building. My fear is that this
proposal risks triggering a regression in this correct behavior.

Jason