[Tagging] Grouping buildings together using relations

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 08:57:36 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 11 Jan 2021, at 01:40, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Any time you edit an administrative boundary you are just making it worse, if it was imported from a reliable source.

I do not completely agree with this. For example high administrative boundaries (e.g. parts of a city) are often textually described, and can be added based on this description and the described features already present in osm, to come to a consistent version (consistent with the rest of our data), while it may be slightly different to the official version in absolute location terms (coordinates). This is better IMHO than having the same coordinates but in the details having weird situations of the boundary intersecting multiple times with defining features like rivers and roads.

Additionally, official boundary publications (open data) are often simplified compared to the internal version of the boundary (at least in some  European countries I have frequently seen this).

Cheers Martin