[Tagging] Grouping buildings together using relations

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 10:05:45 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 9 Jan 2021, at 18:05, Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at gmx.at> wrote:
>
> NB: if the site relation would only be used for arrangements that are
> packed together it would be completely unnecessary since then one could
> use a polygon to mark the area for most uses that I have seen in the
> past (hotels, unis, schools).

no, the site relation is for things that cannot be grouped through a polygon, that’s why it was invented and that’s where its application is. For example when (some) parts are linear or nodes and the area around them should not be part of the thing.

I agree that use of the site relation is probably inconsistent, that’s also a reason why carto does not visualize any of them.

For your case (several areas in a town) you could use a multipolygon relation ;)

Cheers Martin