[Tagging] Deprecate healthcare=centre

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Thu Jan 14 11:33:07 UTC 2021

On 14.01.2021 08:13, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> So it sounds like there is no opposition to my original request: That we discourage the use of
> healthcare=centre, since it does not have any particular meaning (beyond "a healthcare facility of
> any kind"), and encourage mappers to use more specific tags like
> hospital/clinic/doctors/dentist/laboratory/etc.

This is incorrect! There were several voices saying that healthcare=centre has some merit, and more
coming in.

Just now, On 14.01.2021 12:09, Paul Allen wrote:
 > Either we use healthcare=hospital for integrated care centres (which I
 > am reluctant to do, because they're not hospitals as most people
 > think of the term), or we call them clinics which have several sub-clinics,
 > or we come up with something else, like healthcare=centre.

I agree that we should head for being more specific, but there are two roads to choose from.
- One road is to check if there is a more precise top-level tag (e.g. amenity=hospital etc)
- the other is to specify the centre with appropriate sub-tagging, as it is currently the case
   with German vaccination centres (healthcare:speciality=vaccination).

Both methods are now described on the restructured wiki page. As for the comparison with
healthcare=yes, it is untrue that this would mean the same. For healthcare=centre it is
clear that the mapper had a physical facility in mind which has some central characteristics,
while healthcare=yes just means anything related to healthcare, wthout even being physical.

tom