[Tagging] Deprecate healthcare=centre

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 12:15:32 UTC 2021

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 11:35, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:

> I agree that we should head for being more specific, but there are two
> roads to choose from.
> - One road is to check if there is a more precise top-level tag (e.g.
> amenity=hospital etc)
> - the other is to specify the centre with appropriate sub-tagging, as it
> is currently the case
>    with German vaccination centres (healthcare:speciality=vaccination).

Using my favourite not-a-hospital example.  It has:

   - General practise with doctors and nurse practitioners.
   - Dental surgery.
   - Minor injuries unit.
   - Radiology and diagnostics.
   - Outpatient suite.
   - Mental health services
   - Other (vaguely-specified) things.
   - Pharmacy.
   - No beds.

It's called an Integrated Care Centre, not a hospital.  When it was
proposed to replace the local cottage hospital with the care
centre, locals were outraged because the replacement was not,
in their view, a hospital (no beds).

It has too many specialities to call it a clinic.  It's not viewed as
a hospital, nor is it called one.  And this type of thing will
become increasingly common in the UK and possibly
elsewhere.

--
Paul