[Tagging] Fw: Narrowing the application range of the smoothness tags

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Thu Jan 14 11:44:07 UTC 2021

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 11:54:11 +0100
Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am Do., 14. Jan. 2021 um 11:36 Uhr schrieb Stefan Tauner <
> stefan.tauner at gmx.at>:
>

> > PS: I would never tag "smooth paving stones with seamless connections"
> > as excellent. At least none I have ever seen.
>

> here you are:
> https://notiziaoggi.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/32474918_portici-piazza-italia-gattinara-da-rifare.jpg
> http://www.ocrarossa.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/mosaico-via-cernaia-torino1.jpg
> (not paving stones actually, but stone and optimal smoothness)
> http://www.comune.genova.it/sites/default/files/imagecache/immagine_dettaglio_articolo/documenti/immagini/articoli/mosaici_0.jpg

Not paving stones as defined by the wiki[1] IMHO - but I don't think we
have a better tagging for them.
If smoothness would be more widely used I guess they would fit
surface=paving_stones and smoothness=excellent, yes. However, I think
these should get a separate value, e.g., polished_stone.

1: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:surface%3Dpaving_stones