[Tagging] Street and Sub-Street in Address Tagging

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 23:08:48 UTC 2021

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 20:20, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> For the rest, we could consider addr:place and addr:suburb, the first is
> used when the numbering does not refer to a street but to a settlement,

Which is not the case here.  It is not a settlement.  It is one block
of houses on a street which has many other houses.  Whilst most
of those house have addresses like 1 Foo Street, Smallville; 2
Foo Street, Smallville, between 10 Foo Street, Smallville and
11 Foo Street, Smallville is 1 Bar Cottages, Foo Street, Smallville
and 2 Bar Cottages, Foo Street, Smallville.

> addr:suburb is used for parts of settlements

Which is not the case here.

> (and has no bearing on the question to what the housenumber refers to).
> "Foo Road" exists in proximity, and it seems to be used in the addr, it is
> tempting to add it as addr:street, and Bar Cottages as addr:suburb, but as
> the numbering suggests this is not part of Foo Road,

You understand it wrong.  The official address is 1, Bar Cottages, Foo Road,
Smallville.  Bar Cottages is not a suburb or a locality or a place.

> so a different interpretation could be:
> no addr:street

This would be incorrect.  Bar Cottages is on Foo Road.

addr:place=Bar Cottages, Foo Road
> but it only makes sense if there is a place named Bar Cottages (i.e. the
> houses were "Bar Cottages")

That's true of one case I know.  The Royal Oak Pub on Quay Street was
split into a number of houses, so 1 Royal Oak, Quay Street, etc.  it's
not true of others I know.

--
Paul