[Tagging] Discussion & possible deprecation of various Lifeguard tags

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 06:03:59 UTC 2021

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 12:14, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural=beach#How_to_map
> recommends to use supervised for beaches with a lifeguard service, so
> before we change anything it would be good to hear if anyone is actually
> using supervised on beaches to mean something else apart from patrolled by
> lifeguards.

Very hard to tell?

https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/12qR says that there are 89 "supervised beaches
with opening hours" but there aren't many details.

eg https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/27492072#map=15/53.9883/11.2199 says
it's open 24/7, There is a DLRG Station
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/497903924 but I can't find any reference
to it's operating hours, not even by the linked website.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/230248985 has opening_hours 10:00 - 18:00
& there is a Ranger Station at the back of the beach
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/230248935. But do Rangers act as
lifeguards? According to Mr G, the State Park itself is open 7-7, & there
are a few comments about Rangers, but they only mention "Lots of Ranger
security" & "Rangers collect the camping fees"

Searching https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/700711724 gets
https://www.loirevalley-france.co.uk/organise-your-stay/activities/water/baignade-au-plan-deau-de-la-barbotine
which says "Supervised beach", although part of
https://www.osezmauges.fr/piscines/LOIPDL049V50213E-6/detail/montrevault-sur-evre/baignade-au-plan-d-eau-de-la-barbotine
translates to " Swimming authorized only in the presence of bathing
supervisors during the summer period from July 10 to August 31, 2020 (no
supervision on Mondays):  - from Tuesday to Saturday from 2.15 p.m. to 7.00
p.m. - Sunday from 2.15 p.m. to 8.00 p.m."

Also says " Access to the beach and swimming prohibited for children under
8 years old unaccompanied by an adult" which would be a whole different can
of worms to get into!

Thanks

Graeme