[Tagging] Denominations vs religions organisations

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 12:53:03 UTC 2021

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 at 00:38, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

I would instead recommend using the tag operator
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:operator>=* for the name of the
> church organisation, and keep denomination
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:denomination>=* for the larger,
> commonly-used category like "sunni", "presbyterian", "pentecostal",
> "mormon", etc.

Within each of the broad categories you happen to think of as being true
denominations are organizations which insist that they are the only ones
who are doing it right and that all the others within that broad category
are doing it wrong.

This proposal of yours is likely to start the kind of argument that is
commonly known on the intertubes as a "religious war."  I'd
recommend letting sleeping gods lie.

For those who think everything I wrote was just tongue-in-cheek
humour, I think your proposal is a bad idea.  Hint: "Yours isn't
a proper denomination, it's merely an offshoot of this broader
category your denomination dismisses as heretical."  There are
a lot of denominations, live with it.

--
Paul