[Tagging] Miniature railways and park trains

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 23:08:27 UTC 2021

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 at 07:20, Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at gmx.at> wrote:

> Instead I propose to use railway=miniature for those rides that are
> actual railways that have (usually) multiple stations to get around a
> park or used for sightseeing without being connected to a true railway
> system (basically the current definition of railway=miniature).

Yep, I'd agree with that, as per this example:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/45171009
(Except the stations should also be mapped & named)

railway=miniature also in use almost 7500 times against 300 odd for
attraction=train

For the tractors with trailers disguised as trains I would introduce a
> new tag attraction=road_train. The term road train is mostly used for
> very big freight trucks but the key makes it clearly distinguishable
> and not a problem IMHO. These probably should be mapped as relations
> since they use existing streets.

Not sure if "road train" is the right term? But also nothing better comes
readily to mind!

Problem with mapping the one I know of, that runs around a local shopping
mall, is that it doesn't have an exact designated path that it follows
every time. There is a designated starting point (where you pay), but you
can actually ring a bell & ask the driver to stop & let you off anywhere on
it's route! Maybe just a node at that start?

However, there is a third related ride that you did not mention yet. They
> are not roller coasters
> in the sense that adults would get thrilled whatsoever but that target
> younger kids.

I would call that a merry-go-round or carousel.

Actually attraction=carousel already exists, & has been used 1500+ times
but has never been documented.

Similar thing applies to all of the listed "attractions" - used quite a few
times but most of them aren't written up.
Anybody after a job? :-)

Thanks

Graeme