[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Military Bases

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 01:27:24 UTC 2021

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 at 10:27, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Maybe a campaign to ask everybody to create their Users page, including a
> link to their OSM page, then after "6" months of warning, stop counting
> votes made by "anonymous" users? (Which I know will go over like the
> proverbial lead balloon!)
>
> 6 months sounds like a complete overkill, adding link on user page takes
> minutes -
> and is necessary only if for some reason you have different username.

I'm trying to avoid the "you didn't tell me that this was happening"
complaints! :-)

I have not noticed it before that such blank accounts without wiki edits
> and no corresponding mapping user account are actually active in votes.

I noticed your comment "what happened already in one vote that was
invalidated after blatant cheating was discovered". That's probably the
case that I saw reference to (& now can't find again) where somebody
created "a lot" of user names just to vote (No, I think?). When they were
investigated by "somebody with power" :-), it was found that the name had
been created at 11.21, voted at 11.22, new name at 11.23, voted at 11.24 &
so on for 20 (?) users / votes :-(

To be honest, I can't imagine being so offended by a tag that I'd ever go
to that much trouble! :-)

On that, who has the right to say "No, that vote is apparently invalid, so
it's not being counted"? Me, as the proposer, or would it have to come from
much further up the ladder?

Thanks

Graeme