[Tagging] noaddress=yes and (possibly) implicit buildings

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Jan 18 11:14:26 UTC 2021

Jan 18, 2021, 01:49 by mnalis-openstreetmaplist at voyager.hr:

> On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 10:41:24 -0500, Alan Mackie <aamackie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 at 10:14, Tobias Zwick <osm at westnordost.de> wrote:
>>
>>> The discussion has been revolving around earthquakes in Croatia mostly,
>>>

> Thanks Tobias, talk has indeed mostly converged on only one half of the question
> posted (so far). I'll try in this subthread to help focus on SC case exclusively.

Personally I have no problem with tag indicating that according to survey there
is no house number for given building.

So for example building=yes representing garage would end with

building=yes
noaddress=yes

And repeat for 200 nearby garage building and sheds.

> Or, if 100% certainty (does such even exist in life, much less in OSM?) was
> an absolute requirement for "noaddress=yes", then value "noaddress=probably"
> or something similar might be considered as an option?

address:signed=no?

>> 1. could get tedious very quickly in areas with many separate garages sheds
>> etc., I presume this is why the address query is normally suppressed until
>> after building type ID in the first place.
>>

> It would be choice for user - while the default in SC currently is to map
> firstly building type and (some time later) the address; the user which
> wanted to focus only on important tags might want to reverse that order
> (or even to skip building type quest altogether).

And right now it is not really possible - SC will not ask address quest for building=yes,
one of main reasons is avoiding of adding noaddress=yes on sheds/garages/etc
tagged as building=yes

> [A] There are multiple problems and reasons why person might not want to map
>  explicit building type via "building" key: it might not be easy or
>  possible to know what was original purpose of the building was:
>  Was it originally built as a hangar, or a garage, or a shed or a
>  warehouse?

If it is not visible at all (building heavily reconstructed so that it
changed form) then tagging current form is OK.

- factory building completely reconstructed into apartments is building=apartments
- factory building housing museum with building shape/style/substance remaining
is building=factory (or building=industrial or...)
- apartments building used as place of worship is building=apartments