[Tagging] Miniature railways and park trains

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Mon Jan 18 14:34:08 UTC 2021

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 13:31:47 +0000
Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's difficult to tell.  They look a bit on the large size to be
> miniature.  And
> I'm inferring that the miniature vs narrow distinction is based as much
> upon usage (amusement versus transportation) as size.

The most important distinction to me is how the railway is embedded in
the overall transport system of the area. If the narrow railway ever was
or still is part of a bigger railway system or at least has some kind of
transfer possibilities at (terminal) stations then I would rather grant
them railway=narrow than a completely separate string of tracks "in the
middle of nowhere" (the latter obviously needs to be put into context
though: a narrow-gauge railway previously used for some industrial
endeavor does not become a miniature_train even if it is converted to haul
tourists :)
That being said, I realize that the railway's history also plays a role
in my thinking: if it was built initially for mainly amusement purposes
it is rather a miniature_train.

All of that is obviously fuzzy. I don't know how to make up a clear
rule to validate tagging.