[Tagging] Miniature railways and park trains

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 13:31:47 UTC 2021

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 at 12:56, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am Mo., 18. Jan. 2021 um 13:34 Uhr schrieb Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com
> >:
>
> But there are also (very) narrow gauge railways that may be of a
>>
> similar physical size to a miniature railway but are actually used to
>> transport people around a large amusement park.  The
>> distinction is between an attraction for kids that may not have
>> any "real" destination (maybe a few halts where they can get off for
>>
> a couple of minutes) and a means of transportation for families.
>>

> I would see these as railway=miniature
> Example here:
> https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FLycLvjsEN9Y%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
>
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/Stuttgart_killesbergbahn_01.JPG

It's difficult to tell.  They look a bit on the large size to be
miniature.  And
I'm inferring that the miniature vs narrow distinction is based as much
upon usage (amusement versus transportation) as size.

> Maybe these would also qualify as railway=narrow_gauge?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killesberg_Railway

Maybe.

Here's one that is definitely miniature.  Both in size and in purpose (it's
a ride for children, not intended to get from point A to point B).
https://teifivalleyrailway.wales/the-railway/the-pixie-line.html
The left-hand image of the collage at the top of the page gives
a good sense of the scale.

Here's a video of the narrow gauge line operated by the same company.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMi_wyYPN14
It is a tourist attraction but it is possible to get off at the halts and
do things.  At Forest Halt you can get off and walk along a footpath
back to Henllan Station.  At Pontprenshitw Halt you can get off and
walk down a steep path to the waterfall below the bridge.  At
Llandyfriog Riverside you can get off and gaze at the remains of
the bridge over the River Teifi.

For those with nothing better to do with their time, a video showing
rides on both the miniature railway and the narrow gauge railway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6JjJfUMuP0
It is through videos like that one and various people's holiday
pictures that I'm slowly piecing together what's actually there
(I just spotted a water tank by Henllan High Level in that
video).

--
Paul