[Tagging] Miniature railways and park trains

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 14:55:36 UTC 2021

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 at 14:36, Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at gmx.at> wrote:

> The most important distinction to me is how the railway is embedded in
> the overall transport system of the area.

Define "area" and "overall transport system."  If you have a very
large theme park, holiday park or whatever then it may have a
narrow gauge railway for internal transit even if there are no
direct interchange points with the wider public transit system.
So my breakpoint is if it's used to get from A to B or used
as an amusement.  With modifications in some circumstances.

> If the narrow railway ever was
> or still is part of a bigger railway system or at least has some kind of
> transfer possibilities at (terminal) stations then I would rather grant
> them railway=narrow than a completely separate string of tracks "in the
> middle of nowhere"

The narrow gauge railway with the companion miniature railway that
I'm thinking of was formerly a standard gauge line linking several
towns and hamlets and connecting to the rest of the rail network
system.  What is left is isolated and has only one of its stations
in a population centre.

> That being said, I realize that the railway's history also plays a role
> in my thinking: if it was built initially for mainly amusement purposes
> it is rather a miniature_train.

I'd modify that and say it also has to be miniature in size.

All of that is obviously fuzzy. I don't know how to make up a clear
> rule to validate tagging.

Me neither.  Another thing to consider is how the operator refers to
it.  But that's not decisive as I know a former farm which converted
its outbuildings to holiday cottages has just installed a miniature
railway (by your and my definitions) but calls it a light railway
(it isn't, it's a ride for children).

It's blurry.

--
Paul