[Tagging] Miniature railways and park t rains

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 20:56:52 UTC 2021

Am Mo., 18. Jan. 2021 um 21:39 Uhr schrieb Tim Magee <
timothy at eastlincoln.net>:

> > As has been pointed out previously, we mustn't forget outdoor "model" or
> > "hobby" miniature trains.  There's one near me that I've mapped [1].  It
> > is on private property and is not an attraction, nor is it large enough
> > to carry people.  It is simply someone's hobby.  The rails are about 6
> > inches apart.  Unfortunately I do not have a picture.
> >
> > [1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/39.97556/-85.64379
> >

> This would be a railway=miniature (the rails) but it does not have any
> attraction=train/model_train to go with it.
>
> We need to have both of these concepts available for OSM mappers.

IMHO we should use "railway" for stuff that actually can transport freight
and/or people and have something else for toys (model railways).

This is also what I read in the wiki:
"All forms of transport using metal rails" on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Railways
and "The railway tag is used to mark all kinds of railways, railway
infrastructure or other transports using rails." on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:railway

Cheers
Martin