[Tagging] Miniature railways and park t rains

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 20:57:41 UTC 2021

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 at 20:39, Tim Magee <timothy at eastlincoln.net> wrote:

> This would be a railway=miniature (the rails) but it does not have any
> attraction=train/model_train to go with it.

Going by the proposal at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/railway%3Dminiature
and the estimated track width of 6", it's a miniature not a model.  Maybe
we need to consider that there can be overlap between the gauges
of miniature and model railways.  And we should definitely carry
that definition over from the proposal to the actual tag page (we
could have averted a lot of this discussion if we had).  Oh, and
carry over from the talk page on the proposal that the distinction
between miniature and model is if it carries passengers (except
that bit is disputed).

We need to have both of these concepts available for OSM mappers.

Don't forget about privacy concerns.  But public places could have
model railways, so we need it anyway.  I'd be fine with
railway=model.

--
Paul