[Tagging] cycleway:lane=advisory

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 23:18:54 UTC 2021

The problem is that all over Italy funding is available for these "cheap"
cycle lanes (they do not need any vertical signposting, just paint on the
asphalt)
We need to map them in OSM, and we need to map them differently from the
"classical" bicycle lanes. With my hat as active member in a cyclists'
association, I see a need to distinguish between the two types, because
they are legally very different (and in the view of many also even more
dangerous than the old types, simply because they are much narrower, less
visible and legally open to be used by cars.
The other thing is that we have two different keys in the database. One as
part of an  rejected proposal, the newer one was inserted in the wiki after
an inconclusive discussion in the German OSM forum.
The older (rejected) proposal cycleway=soft_lane has the advantage over the
newer cycleway:lane=advisory|mandatory in the sense that it does not have
the need to retrofit the "mandatory" on the non-advisory lanes. It would
create an additional cycleway class and not a new subclass of the lane
class of cycleways.

This would work in Italy, as we did not have soft lanes until a couple of
months ago.

Other countries. like the Netherlands and Germany have had this type of
soft lanes already for many years. This may pose the problem that many
(all?) soft lanes have been tagged as normal lanes.

Virus-free.
<#m_9164321382758350603_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>