[Tagging] cycleway:lane=advisory

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jan 19 04:34:01 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 2:47 PM Florimond Berthoux <
florimond.berthoux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I agree it's typically access tagging of a lane.
> There are two things to tag, one for cars (is it legal to ride on it), and
> one for bicycle (is it mandatory to use the lane) :
> could be :
> cycleway:lane:bicycle=mandatory/advisory (could be simplified with the
> actual cycleway:lane=mandatory/advisory)
> cycleway:lane:vehicle=no/possible/yes

I'm wondering if this can't just be bicycle:lane=yes or designated,
motor_vehicle:lane=no for the advisory lanes.  I'm imagining a dutch
example, but I could see something like this working:

lanes=3 (or lanes:total=3, since lanes=* is kind of hopelessly broken with
resistance to changing it)
lanes:forward=1
lanes:both_ways=1
lanes:backward=1
bicycle:lanes:forward=designated
bicycle:lanes:backward=designated
bicycle:lanes:both_ways=designated
motor_vehicle:lanes:forward=no
motor_vehicle:lanes:backward=no
motor_vehicle:lanes:both_ways=yes

I would *love* to disambiguate cycleway lane tagging by just treating it as
any other lane, letting cycleway=* go by the wayside eventually.