[Tagging] RFC: remove alphanumeric code visible in infoboxes at OSM Wiki linking to Wikidata

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jan 19 10:06:41 UTC 2021

Jan 19, 2021, 10:58 by dieterdreist at gmail.com:

> Am Di., 19. Jan. 2021 um 10:19 Uhr schrieb Marc_marc <> marc_marc at mailo.com> >:
>
>> maybe the link should be improved with "read more on this via
>>  wikidata/wikipedia" (and hide the wikidata number, the link is enough)
>>

> if we believe the wikidata link is useful, I would also keep showing the number. It could be amended by the wikidata label, so that the information is human usable.
> For me, wikidata links like this could make sense, although to be actually useful someone would have to amend them with the time: > https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q57977870

If someone wants wikidata-like interface then I would recommend[1] rather
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Item:Q335 (linked via "Data item" in tools section
in sidebar on the left side) that is distinct from Q335 on Wikidata
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q335

[1] though editing wiki pages is far better than data items

> Many other Wikidata links are misleading and worsening the situation, here is an example why > https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q108325> , (linked from building=chapel):
> 1. the English description is: "small place, building or room of Christian fellowship or worship, may be attached or not to a larger institution or part of a building" but the OSM tag building=chapel does not apply to chapels that are part of a building. This problem is also present in German ("> oder -räumlichkeit"), and in Italian it is "> luogo destinato al culto religioso e legato a una struttura più grande" which means place of worship destined for religious cult and tied to a bigger structure. In French it refers to the hierarchy of the church community ("> édifice religieux chrétien n'ayant pas les pleins droits paroissiaux") so it is also a bad fit for building=chapel. Basically every description I have checked was misleading for the scope of the linked OSM tag. These translations should not be shown to OSM users because they are too loosely connected to the tag.

And it is not really removable (like I did with some clear mismatches)
as they kind of describe the same thing.

And if we would want exact matches then nearly all wikidata matches would be removed.