[Tagging] RFC: remove alphanumeric code visible in infoboxes at OSM Wiki linking to Wikidata

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 09:58:50 UTC 2021

Am Di., 19. Jan. 2021 um 10:19 Uhr schrieb Marc_marc <marc_marc at mailo.com>:

> maybe the link should be improved with "read more on this via
> wikidata/wikipedia" (and hide the wikidata number, the link is enough)

if we believe the wikidata link is useful, I would also keep showing the
number. It could be amended by the wikidata label, so that the information
is human usable.
For me, wikidata links like this could make sense, although to be actually
useful someone would have to amend them with the time:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q57977870

Many other Wikidata links are misleading and worsening the situation, here
is an example why https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q108325, (linked from
building=chapel):
1. the English description is: "small place, building or room of Christian
fellowship or worship, may be attached or not to a larger institution or
part of a building" but the OSM tag building=chapel does not apply to
chapels that are part of a building. This problem is also present in German
("oder -räumlichkeit"), and in Italian it is "luogo destinato al culto
religioso e legato a una struttura più grande" which means place of worship
destined for religious cult and tied to a bigger structure. In French it
refers to the hierarchy of the church community ("édifice religieux
chrétien n'ayant pas les pleins droits paroissiaux") so it is also a bad
fit for building=chapel. Basically every description I have checked was
misleading for the scope of the linked OSM tag. These translations should
not be shown to OSM users because they are too loosely connected to the tag.

Cheers,
Martin