[Tagging] List of obviously needed improvements to OSM Wiki

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Jan 21 12:47:24 UTC 2021

Jan 18, 2021, 00:20 by graemefitz1 at gmail.com:

> On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 at 22:30, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <> tagging at openstreetmap.org> > wrote:
>

>> Note: this post is kind of experimental and attempt to
>> expand a bit number of people editing and improving wiki.
>>
>> For various reasons number of people editing wiki is much
>> smaller that number of people participating in tagging
>> discussions, and while I am trying to be objective it
>> is not a good idea to have tiny group of people writing most of
>> summaries of tagging discussions and documenting de facto tags.
>>

> Thanks for starting this, Mateusz
>
> I think part of the problem is that actually editing the wiki is > not>  a user-friendly procedure :-(
>
> It may make sense to people who talk computer, but to the rest of us, it's a collection of funny marks & symbols that apparently mean something! (& which for some reason don't always have the same result?)
>
> The other thing is that a lot of people may be scared of doing something & so leaving themselves open to the chastisement, & sometimes abuse, that follows when other people don't like what's been written :-(

Is there anyone who is unable/uninterested in editing wiki but is capable of uploading
image? And letting me know that they did that, so I can add the image?

For example upload may be done following ways:
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/ <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>  ( https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:UploadWizard )- or somewhere else and posting it together with following text
"this photo is something that I took and I irrevocably grant anyone the right to use this work
under the following license https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.en"
(see linked page for summary of consequences) - so I can copy it to Wikimedia
and it would become usable on Wii
- or post i to Flickr and select permissive licensing in settings (allowing commercial use
and derivative works)

Or is it also too complicated?

Specifically, photos illustrating:
- https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=tertiary_link
- https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity=mobile_money_agent
- https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shelter_type=weather_shelter
- https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:oneway:bicycle=yes <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:oneway:bicycle=yes>
(where it is not a duplicate of oneway=yes)
- https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:social_facility=nursing_home(preferably not a photo of random building from outside)

(obviously if someone find matching photo on Wikimedia Commons it would be
even better - the same effect, less effort)