[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 136, Issue 246

ET Commands etcommands at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 14:49:07 UTC 2021

> Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 10:37:08 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Peter Neale <nealepb at yahoo.co.uk>
> To: "tagging at openstreetmap.org" <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Documenting my solution to a messy situation
>
> Hi Marc,
> Yes, it is my intention to put my explanation somewhere in the Wiki and then link to it from the "note=*" for each affected street.
> I will look at creating "https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:<my wiki username>".
> Regards,Peter
>
>      On Saturday, 23 January 2021, 10:25:49 GMT, Marc_marc <marc_marc at mailo.com> wrote:
>
>   Le 23.01.21 à 10:49, Peter Neale via Tagging a écrit :
>> I have had a challenge recently with naming some local streets, where
>> “official” sources conflict with one another and a ground survey
>> revealed a mess.
> it would be interesting to explain your way of doing things here,
> wouldn't it?
>
> you can put them on the wiki
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:<your wiki username> or in your
> diary https://www.openstreetmap.org/diary
> and why not puttint the url in the note=* tag
>
> in switzerland name=* get for what comes from the ground and
> official_name for the official version when there is a conflict
> with the field.
> if there is a 3rd source, alt_name loc_name reg_name allow to
> easily add the other names.

Peter, I like your approach.  I have maintained the street centerlines
for Indianapolis in the US for over 20 years, and one thing I have
learned is that for many streets there is no "official" source for the
street names.  Various historic maps, recorded plats, street name signs,
and what people call the street may all differ.

Mark