[Tagging] surface = chip seal vs surface = asphalt

Peter Neale nealepb at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 23 17:53:53 UTC 2021

In the UK, the lay person (i.e. not a civil engineer) would understand "concrete" to mean "portland cement and aggregate".  They would understand "asphalt" to be black, tarry stuff with stones in and they would not understand "asphalt concrete" at all.
I THINK Chipseal is what we would call "tar and chippings"; a cheap way to resurface a road, which you have to drive over slowly for the first few days / weeks, until the chips are all fixed in the tar, or swept up as surplus.  IMHO the finished surface is not really that different from asphalt, but then I am not a road surface aficionado.
Regards,Peter