[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Ture Pålsson ture at turepalsson.se
Sun Jan 24 11:11:12 UTC 2021

> 23 jan. 2021 kl. 18:24 skrev Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>:
>
> Brian M Sperlongano wrote:
> > So, are you saying that this road has legal pedestrian access in Sweden?  That seems hard to believe.  How would I know from the tagging that I can't send a pedestrian down this road?  Is additional tagging needed on this road?:
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/199230893
> > https://goo.gl/maps/HLrQxu5Dh83aCxsL9

I wrote most of this on talk-se, but I’ll copy it here:

I’m not familiar with the area (wrong side of Sweden for me :-) ) but I checked the onramps in Google Street View (I know we can’t use that for mapping, but I’m not mapping this…) and:

1) There are no signs explicitly denying foot access. I also checked a few of the streets ”once removed” from the big road. but I can’t find any ”no pedestrians” signs there either. Again, whether walking there is a good idea is quite a different question. It wouldn’t surprise me if anyone walking there would quickly find themselves in the company of the police, politely but firmly asking them to walk somewhere else to avoid causing an accident and/or getting themselves killed. (After all, there are no laws against suicide, but the police still try to stop it…)

2) There are no motorroad signs, so it is not a motorroad. Ditto motorway.

3) sidewalk=no,shoulder=no seems correct.

Digging around in news headlines, I found a case where a drunk man had been walking somewhere along this road: https://www.google.com/maps/@57.6427048,11.9321656,3a,75y,359.21h,95.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1su3YnMPwsyndGQZdGun8f1A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 <https://www.google.com/maps/@57.6427048,11.9321656,3a,75y,359.21h,95.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1su3YnMPwsyndGQZdGun8f1A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192> (Rv 40 between Bollebygd and Landvetter). A passing lorry driver reported seeing him and possibly hitting him with the rear-view mirror. The man was picked up by the police and taken to hospital for minor injuries in one hand, and then charged with ”recklessness in traffic” (vårdslöshet i trafik). I do not know how the case ended.