[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sat Jan 23 17:24:57 UTC 2021

Brian M Sperlongano wrote:
> So, are you saying that this road has legal pedestrian access in Sweden?  That seems hard to believe.  How would I know from the tagging that I can't send a pedestrian down this road?  Is additional tagging needed on this road?:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/199230893
> https://goo.gl/maps/HLrQxu5Dh83aCxsL9

There are hundreds of miles of road like that in the UK where walking is permitted. Foolhardy, certainly, but permitted. It would be wrong to tag that with foot=no - you might well want to walk for 100m along the verge of such a road to connect two footpaths.

The solution to your dilemma is simple. Tag shoulders. It's what I've been doing to help cycle.travel make better routing choices in the US, in particular. You can whizz through a long-distance road pretty quickly (in Potlatch, I just assign "shoulder=yes" to a function key, then travel along the road using the shift+</> and N shortcuts). If there's two of us doing it we'll finish in half the time!

Richard