[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 18:45:08 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 24 Jan 2021, at 18:16, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> While this may be true in certain countries, quite simply, this is false as a general rule worldwide.
> US laws prohibit walking on Interstate highway, but there is not always signage explicitly prohibiting pedestrians.  There are also state highways built to the same standards as interstate highways.

it’s the default for OpenStreetMap to assume everybody can access a highway road, unless it has restricted access (motorway). I am not familiar with the US situation, but I thought interstate highways are usually motorways? If a road is forbidden for pedestrians and not a motorway or motorroad, you should add foot=no IMHO, even in absence of signage.

Cheers Martin