[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 21:51:30 UTC 2021

The freeway rules in the US vary from state to state

In Arizona, cyclists may generally use freeway shoulders, unless explicitly
prohibited.
Pedestrians are generally not allowed. There are normally no-pedestrian
signs
<https://www.google.it/maps/@35.245152,-112.2157429,3a,15y,248.34h,83.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syeZt8wYJZsM-XgZrVexh4Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656>
on the freeway entrance

California:
" Section 21960 of the Vehicle Code allows Caltrans to prohibit
nonmotorized travel on freeways. It is Caltrans’ policy to prohibit
pedestrians on freeways. However, Caltrans allows bicycle travel on
approximately one-fourth of the State’s freeways. Freeway shoulders that
are open to bicyclists are usually in non urban areas where a safe and
convenient alternate route does not exist. "
The prohibition is signposted: When you are on a freeway and the open part
ends, this is indicated by signs "bicycles must exit".

New Mexico
Bicycles on freeways generally ok