[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Ture Pålsson ture at turepalsson.se
Mon Jan 25 12:57:40 UTC 2021

> 25 jan. 2021 kl. 13:32 skrev Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at gmx.at>:
>
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 09:43:30 +0100
> Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> the only purpose of motorroad=yes are access restrictions, you cannot
>> do anything wrong if you treat motorroad=yes as equivalent to foot=no
>> bicycle=no mofa=no moped=no horse=no
>
> Why does it exist then in the first place? Compared to other
> restrictions it has (arguably) inverted logic (because its main
> purpose - as Martin defined above - is to take rights away), is not
> named in a way that describes vehicles, are not part of the access
> values etc. It is very odd.
[…]

The same could be said for, for example, cycleway and bridleway.

My guess would be that motorroad, like highway=motorway, came to be because these are legal categories of road in many countries, with specific signage (”bridge over dual carriageway” for motorway, ”frontal view of motorcar” for motorroad); information which is interesting to have explicitly conveyed. Though why motorway got its own highway type, while motorroad is an additional tag, I can’t imagine...