[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Mon Jan 25 13:18:31 UTC 2021

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 13:57:40 +0100
Ture Pålsson via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> > Why does it exist then in the first place? Compared to other
> > restrictions it has (arguably) inverted logic (because its main
> > purpose - as Martin defined above - is to take rights away), is not
> > named in a way that describes vehicles, are not part of the access
> > values etc. It is very odd.
> […]
>
> The same could be said for, for example, cycleway and bridleway.
>
> My guess would be that motorroad, like highway=motorway, came to be
> because these are legal categories of road in many countries, with
> specific signage (”bridge over dual carriageway” for motorway,
> ”frontal view of motorcar” for motorroad); information which is
> interesting to have explicitly conveyed. Though why motorway got its
> own highway type, while motorroad is an additional tag, I can’t
> imagine...

cycleway and bridleway are values of the highway key - they describe
the way (with some properties like access rights implied). The
respective access values are bicycle and horse and can be used where
implied rights are not right (SCNR). They might also be applied
separately as key with a value of yes if necessary. motorway is neither
a value of highway nor access. It is completely separate.