[Tagging] Tagging a Portuguese pavement

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 17:18:35 UTC 2021

Hi Antonio. There was some discussion on this in 2018, but not much
formal agreement:

1. https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-January/034795.html
2. https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Pieter%20Vander%20Vennet/diary/43120
3. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Paving_stone_details#Generalizing_for_other_types_of_pavements

By analogy, it seems like a current standard pattern would in fact be
surface=sett + sett:pattern=portuguese. sett:pattern has a little more
than 500 uses. [1] Back in 2018, I've proposed using surface=sett +
paving_pattern=portuguese. For the pavements of sidewalks, this would
produce:

sidewalk:surface=sett + sidewalk:sett:pattern=portuguese

or

sidewalk:surface=sett + sidewalk:paving_pattern=portuguese

Some have proposed using surface=paving_stones instead, but most of
the Portuguese pavements I know are not as smooth as most of the
surfaces represented by surface=paving_stones, so I think surface=sett
is more similar in terms of smoothness in the same sense as defined by
the smoothness=* tag [2] for pedestrians, skaters, bikers, etc. Paving
stones do include natural stones (as the ones used in Portuguese
pavement), but the top is usually very flat and smooth. If instead you
choose to use surface=paving stones, then
sidewalk:sett:pattern=portuguese would have to be changed to
sidewalk:paving_stones:pattern=portuguese, a change that I think
complicates the tagging scheme.

[1] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/sett%3Apattern
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:smoothness

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 2:29 PM António Madeira <antoniomadeira at gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> What would be the best way to differentiate this very characteristic
> type of sett?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_pavement
>
> After some discussions in the Portuguese community, it was proposed the
> following:
> surface=sett
> sett:style=portuguese
>

> What do you think?