[Tagging] Tagging a Portuguese pavement

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Mon Jan 25 17:35:56 UTC 2021

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 13:25:19 -0300
António Madeira <antoniomadeira at gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> What would be the best way to differentiate this very characteristic
> type of sett?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_pavement
>
> After some discussions in the Portuguese community, it was proposed the
> following:
> surface=sett
> sett:style=portuguese

Some food for thought:

Some alternatives are sett=portuguese or sett:type=portuguese

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=sett%3Astyle#values
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/sett#values
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/sett%3Atype#values

My opinion: TBH I don't really see how this is special. Mosaics in
pedestrian areas and on sidewalks are not specific to Portugal or
Portuguese culture, neither are the patterns unique as shown on WP [1].
Compare them for example to Prague that is also famous for it
pavements [2].

How to distinguish them? If I show the average mapper (i.e. not a
historic prof studying street design ;) a picture of these could
they decide which is which? I definitely could not.

If there is no clear, identifiable property that makes them
sufficiently special then I think something more generic would be
better, e.g. sett=mosaic or so?
If national proud requires it then an additional mosaic=portuguese
could solve that :)

For the specific pattern there exists sett:pattern=* already. I did not
follow/read the old discussion mentioned by Fernando though.

1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_pavement#/media/File:MiguelRT1_(2).jpg
2: https://www.google.at/search?q=pavement+mosaic+prague&tbm=isch