[Tagging] Documenting my solution to a messy situation

Peter Neale nealepb at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 19:31:56 UTC 2021

Hi Steve,
Hmm....  No, I had not.  Perhaps I should have done so though....
Just to be clear, are you suggesting (in my case) tagging like this:
Road E as: "name=Ferndale" (as it always was and currently still is)
[Ferndale houses here]
Road D as: "name:left=Ferndale; name:right=North Ridge";
[North Ridge houses here]
Road C as: " name:left=North Ridge; name:right=High Trees"
[High Trees houses here]
Road B as: "name=High Trees", (or maybe "name:left=High Trees", as this road has housing on one side and a car park on the other)  ?
That would mean that the names "High Trees", "North Ridge" and "Ferndale" would each be tagged on 2 roads, which are near each other, which I was trying to avoid...  ...or is that not an issue?
Then, looking at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name:left, I note that it says "The name=* tag can still include both names in order to support different tools.", which implies that  the tagging of 2 names on a single object is "allowed".
However the example is then,
"name:left=Leopold Luypaertstraat; name:right=Borghtstraat; name=Leopold Luypaertstraat / Borghtstraat",
I am still not clear whether a (or some, or all) searches for one of the names alone would find it.
To include both names in a single "name=*" tag, I had thought of using "name:right=High Trees; name:left=North Ridge; name=High Trees; North Ridge".  Would that work?  How would a renderer cope with it?  I don't want to be accused of "tagging for the renderer", but when tagging, we do need to consider the potential users, or we could fall  into Write-Only-Memory Syndrome"; documenting data that can never be retrieved.
Thank you for that suggestion.  Can you provide a little more detail?
Regards,PeterPeterPan99