[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 136, Issue 246

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Mon Jan 25 20:03:40 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 14:41 2021-01-23, Martin Koppenhoefer đã viết:

>> On 23 Jan 2021, at 15:52, ET Commands <etcommands at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> and one thing I have learned is that for many streets there is no "official" source for the street names.  Various historic maps, recorded plats, street name signs, and what people call the street may all differ.
>

> still there should be a document where the council assigns a name to the street? At least around here, naming streets is something that the council does formally by voting on a proposed resolution.

Indianapolis is a special case because the city took over most of the
surrounding county in 1970, inheriting many streets that townships had
probably named through less formal processes. [1] But there are plenty
of cases across the Midwest where the township, county highway
department, county assessor's office, county recorder's office, U.S.
Postal Service, and the local emergency dispatcher could have all chosen
slightly different names for the same street, maybe due to a game of
telephone over the years. These agencies can have shared jurisdiction
and aren't necessarily subject to each other's decisions.

The on-the-ground rule would probably favor the highway department that
puts up the street name signs, at least for name=* on the roadway. But
then again, the same rule would also favor the postal service for
addr:street=* on a house along the street -- and the county recorder's
office for addr:street=* on the adjacent apartment complex's landuse
area. If ever there was a case for an associatedStreet relation...

And then there's the case where the township, county, and state share
responsibility for signposting a stretch of the same road but disagree
about the road's name. [2]

Please don't inform these agencies that they can also express their
creativity by spelling out street numbers. ;-)

[1] http://www.hoosierhistorylive.org/mail/2011-10-15.html
[2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/58972380

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us