[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 136, Issue 246

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 21:10:15 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 3:06 PM Minh Nguyen via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Vào lúc 14:41 2021-01-23, Martin Koppenhoefer đã viết:
> >> On 23 Jan 2021, at 15:52, ET Commands <etcommands at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> and one thing I have learned is that for many streets there is no
> "official" source for the street names.  Various historic maps, recorded
> plats, street name signs, and what people call the street may all differ.
> >
> > still there should be a document where the council assigns a name to the
> street? At least around here, naming streets is something that the council
> does formally by voting on a proposed resolution.
>
> [several examples where government agencies in the US disagree about a
> street's name]

In short: Yes, the US *is* that disorganized.   In many places, the concept
that a road has an 'official name' that some government body has assigned
is entirely without meaning or grounding in reality.

In any case, I'm not going to spell out Five Hundred Thirty-Ninth Avenue,
or any of the other ways it might be pronounced.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/5602247  Nope. Ain't gonna do it.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin