[Tagging] Tagging a Portuguese pavement

António Madeira antoniomadeira at gmx.com
Mon Jan 25 22:41:24 UTC 2021

Às 18:58 de 25/01/2021, Stefan Tauner escreveu:

> Just like in the WP article there are relative few sources/proofs that
> the term "Portuguese pavement" or "Calçada Portuguesa" is so well
> defined as you present it here. The first article on the topic in
> Google Scholer that seemed interesting to me [1] additionally uses the
> more general term "mosaic pavement" in the text, which (not
> surprisingly) has way more hits in Google Scholar than either of the
> aforementioned terms (not surprising because that of course includes
> many manuscripts on older mosaic techniques not only PP). I am not
> denying that PP is in fact the most precise technical term for this
> form of mosaic pavements though - something I learned today. :)

I'm not an historian, nor I have technical expertise to explain why the
"Calçada Portuguesa" is a proper and distinguishable style. But it's
distinguishable enough that it's proposed to be UNESCO’s Intangible
Cultural Heritage.
I know for a fact that the first time this was used as it is today,
promoted by the State, with laws, rules and schools of "calceteiros" -
those who break the stones and create the patterns - was in Lisbon in
the XIX century. And it then spread out to the rest of the country, the
Portuguese colonies and the rest of the world.
The fixed size of the stones, the material (limestone, mostly) and the
kind of intricate patterns and designs are recognized by everyone who
know them, be it in Lisbon, Macau or San Francisco.
You have examples like the NY Times or Bloomberg considering its
particular personality:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/30/fashion/pavements-limestone-lisbon-portugal.html
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-23/injuries-aside-lisbon-loves-its-mosaic-sidewalks

> Artistic mosaics are tagged completely differently anyway
> (tourism=artwork, artwork_type=mosaic). That does not mean that
> Portuguese pavement is not a mosaic in the general sense. Full quote of
> the WP page Mosaic [2]: "A mosaic is a pattern or image made of small
> regular or irregular pieces of colored stone, glass or ceramic, held in
> place by plaster/mortar, and covering a surface. Mosaics are often used
> as floor and wall decoration, and were particularly popular in the
> Ancient Roman world.
>
> Mosaic today includes not just murals and pavements, but also artwork,
> hobby crafts, and industrial and construction forms."
> That page later explicitly lists Portuguese pavement [3] as a modern
> mosaic art form. Apparently also the term "Mosaico Português" is often
> used so I really don't understand how you come to the conclusion that
> these pavements are not mosaics?
>
> 1: https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download/article-file/500827
> 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic
> 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic#Cal%C3%A7ada_Portuguesa

I know that "Calçada Portuguesa" is a mosaic, what I meant is it's
primarily a surface, not "just a mosaic". Of course you can add
tourism=artwork + artwork_type=mosaic where it best fits, but you first
have to tag it as a surface=*.