[Tagging] Tagging a Portuguese pavement

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Mon Jan 25 21:58:33 UTC 2021

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 16:55:23 -0300
António Madeira <antoniomadeira at gmx.com> wrote:

> Mind you those Prague sett pavements are indeed Portuguese pavements.
> Portuguese pavements are found all over the world. You can find them all
> over the old Portuguese empire, but also in Hong Kong, Shanghai,
> Beijing, San Francisco, Honolulu, Prague, Spain, Brussels, Gibraltar, etc.
> The hand carved and laid stones, with its characteristic patterns is a
> well documented style, which was developed by the Romans and the Arabs
> and was perfected and adopted in the XV century. It has a proper design,
> geology and colour pattern and it's very easily recognized when you see it.

[citation needed]

Just like in the WP article there are relative few sources/proofs that
the term "Portuguese pavement" or "Calçada Portuguesa" is so well
defined as you present it here. The first article on the topic in
Google Scholer that seemed interesting to me [1] additionally uses the
more general term "mosaic pavement" in the text, which (not
surprisingly) has way more hits in Google Scholar than either of the
aforementioned terms (not surprising because that of course includes
many manuscripts on older mosaic techniques not only PP). I am not
denying that PP is in fact the most precise technical term for this
form of mosaic pavements though - something I learned today. :)

> It's a ubiquitous feature in Portugal and Brazil, and it needs a tag to
> differentiate it from other pavements, not only due to its artistic
> features, but also for statistical data and mobility purposes.

Nobody disputes that at all. The question is what we want to
distinguish within the database and how to choose a good name for that.
AFAICT after reading on the topic, PP is a certain technique of laying
mosaic pavements that is dominantly defined by some artistic aspects,
i.e., it does not significantly differ on a technical level from laying
other types of pavement stones/sett. Thus my question still remains
unanswered: How does one distinguish "Calçada Portuguesa" from other
forms of sett? This is not for my personal entertainment but we need to
document this for all mappers.

> A mosaic it's not a correct description, because it's a pavement, not a
> touristic or artistic feature per se.

Artistic mosaics are tagged completely differently anyway
(tourism=artwork, artwork_type=mosaic). That does not mean that
Portuguese pavement is not a mosaic in the general sense. Full quote of
the WP page Mosaic [2]: "A mosaic is a pattern or image made of small
regular or irregular pieces of colored stone, glass or ceramic, held in
place by plaster/mortar, and covering a surface. Mosaics are often used
as floor and wall decoration, and were particularly popular in the
Ancient Roman world.

Mosaic today includes not just murals and pavements, but also artwork,
hobby crafts, and industrial and construction forms."
That page later explicitly lists Portuguese pavement [3] as a modern
mosaic art form. Apparently also the term "Mosaico Português" is often
used so I really don't understand how you come to the conclusion that
these pavements are not mosaics?

1: https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download/article-file/500827
2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic
3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic#Cal%C3%A7ada_Portuguesa