[Tagging] Relationship between place=* and name=*

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jan 26 17:59:25 UTC 2021

Jan 26, 2021, 18:48 by michael.montani at un.org:

>  My question is not a matter of rendering, but about the definition of place in the wiki, and whether you believe or not name=* could be sometimes skipped when mapping places (try to run 'node["place"]["name"!~".*"]({{bbox}});' on Overpass anywhere in Africa...) or the wiki definition should be revised.

Which part of Wiki definition you consider as requiring changes?

I can imagine mapping place=village or place=city without tagging name
(though I am highly dubious whatever you can correctly select place
rank in case of armchair edits), without tagging name tag.

It is not changing that name tag is required and such object is definitely
incomplete until it is added.