[Tagging] Relationship between place=* and name=*

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Tue Jan 26 18:48:37 UTC 2021

On Tuesday 26 January 2021, Michael Montani wrote:

> The wiki definition of
> place=*<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place> states:
>
> "Used to indicate that a particular location is known by a particular
> name, to indicate what sort of "place" it is. A place tag should
> exist for every significant human settlements (city, town, suburb,
> etc.) and also for notable unpopulated, named places."
>
> which in my opinion is like saying human settlements cannot exist if
> they don't have a name.

Human settlements are not universally tied to the populated places as we
map them in OSM.  Not every house where humans live necessarily belongs
to a place=city/town/village/hamlet/isolated_dwelling.  Mapping of
buildings as well as urban landuses
(landuse=residential/commercial/retail/industrial) is independent of
mapping of named populated places.

The question you should ask yourself is this:  What does a place=village
without a name (that is one that definitely has no name, not one where
the name is so far unmapped) indicate semantically in terms of
geographic information?

If the established classification system
place=city/town/village/hamlet/isolated_dwelling can be applied to all
parts of the world or if there are names populated places are referred
to with in some regions that do not fit into this scheme is a different
matter.

--
Christoph Hormann
https://www.imagico.de/