[Tagging] Relationship between place=* and name=*

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 09:20:34 UTC 2021

Hi all,

If I understand it well, the matter that originates this thread is that
the place=* tag wiki (not the Places wiki by the way) is confusing in
its introductory sentences, as it may be interpreted by many mappers
that a name=* tag has to always be added to the place node (or a
noname=yes in case we know that the place doesn't have a name, that is
quite different from not knowing the place name or its lack of it).

Thousands of hamlets and villages and even towns have been mapped with a
node and without a name all around the world, using armchair mapping,
both by locals and non-locals. This is a common practice since almost
the beginning of the osm project.

Mapping places as nodes without the name=* (or noname=yes) tag gives
already an information. It visually helps to check the connecting roads
between those settlements that are missing, and its classification.

Place nodes are independent of landuse of the area (mainly residential),
and are something easier to map than landuse, so I may add place nodes
to unmapped settlements and leave the (for example) residential areas,
building footprints and other info for later on, or for other users to
do it. We do this all the time, everywhere.

I think we should focus on how to improve the wording in the place=* tag
wiki to avoid that misunderstanding. Any suggestion?

For example: we could add the tense

" Adding the actual name=* of the place is not compulsory, although
highly recommended when you known it."

to the tense

"Used to indicate that a particular location is known by a particular
name, to indicate what sort of "place" it is. A place tag should exist
for every significant human settlements (city, town, suburb, etc.) and
also for notable unpopulated, named places.".

Or something similar.

Cheers,

Rafael.

O 26/01/21 ás 18:48, Michael Montani escribiu: