[Tagging] converted_by : discardable ?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Tue Jan 26 19:21:02 UTC 2021

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 19:21:17 +0100
Marc_marc <marc_marc at mailo.com> wrote:

> Le 26.01.21 à 19:05, Stefan Tauner a écrit :
> > I don't value the argument of big BBes not at all either (from a human perspective
> > at least - is there are technical reason to avoid big BBes?).
>
> the majority of the tools manage the bboxes in a very precarious way.
> try for example to display the changes affecting an area without
> displaying the bboxes including this area but without having made any
> modification. often you have to resign yourself either to see changeset
> without modifying anything, or to ignore changesets which are too big
> but which still make potential modifications in the zone you want.
> feedback from local contributors seems essential to me, that's why I
> almost always proposed to divide this into pieces that are humanly
> manageable with current tools

I am not exactly sure if you are talking about a specific tool, or
osm.org or in general.
From my experience unnecessarily large BBes *are* a problem when one
wants to investigate the history of some specific area, yes.
However, I don't think that a single changeset with such a clearly
restricted semantic is that much annoying. Splitting them up to smaller
pieces makes it worse in many other scenarios IMHO but there is no
perfect solution. Having such tags lingering around for decades is not
very sustainable either for example :)

> > Did anybody check when that tag has been added the last time?
>
> it look like that a such tools doesn't exist yet.
> you may query the diff to find a new changeset with this tag
> but it won't say if the person added it, it may have been added
> by the previous contributor.
> Targeting version #1 objects is not enough because by cutting
> a way in 2, produce a object version #1 with the tags of the previous
> contributor by default.

Yes, the API is not exactly made for that but I presume fetching the
current #1 versions with the tag and investigating a few samples would
already give us some insights.
I did so with this simple query[1] and took a look at a dozen or so
nodes in Germany and China.
Almost all of them were older than 6 years, many even over 10 up
to 13 years. A single one was part of a highway (or maybe motorroad ;)
in China and was clearly created by a split... but I gave up looking for
the first version.

1: https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/12OW