[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Documenting the Key: addr:parentstreet

Peter Neale nealepb at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 27 12:06:19 UTC 2021

Hi Marc,
Many thanks for your contribution to the debate.
I am not sure that I understand the points that you are making.  I do not intend this as a criticism, but I guess that English is not your first language.  So, I would like to try to work with you to clarify your concerns and address them.
If I understand correctly, your first point is that mappers might start adding 2 street names to a lot of addresses.  You said "I am afraid that we are going to have a high rate of routing information with this tag  (to get to my house, take street foo before arriving at my street)".
Clearly, this would be undesirable, but I am not sure how big a risk it is.  What reason would mappers have to add extra information like this?  Perhaps I should add some words to the proposal, saying that "addr:street; addr:parentstreet" should only be used where both street names are part of the normal / official address of the property?  Would that help?
I assume that your second point refers to my Case 3; a block of flats / apartments.  As I understand it, "addr:housename" is used for the name of a single dwelling (a  single house, or a single apartment) and not for the whole block.  If we use "addr:housename" for the name of the block, we cannot use it again for the name of a single apartment within it.
My understanding (from the Wiki) is that "addr:unit" does not refer to the whole building, nor to a single apartment within it, but to a section of the building (e.g "The West Wing").  I do not believe that is is directly relevant here.
As I said in response to @Sarah, if we cannot reach agreement of the use of addr:parentstreet in Case 3, I will delete it from the proposal.  I would prefer to gain support for the majority of use cases, rather than prejudice the whole proposal for the sake of Case 3.

Regards,Peter

    On Tuesday, 26 January 2021, 09:58:41 GMT, Marc_marc <marc_marc at mailo.com> wrote:

 Hello,

Le 26.01.21 à 10:23, Sarah Hoffmann a écrit :
>  addr:housenumber + addr:street + addr:parentstreet
>  (address with 2 streets)

when I see the difficulty of many contributors with add the name of the
main road to every service roads, I am afraid that we are going to have
a high rate of routing information with this tag (to get to my house,
take street foo before arriving at my street)

> * addr:housenumber + addr:building + addr:street
>  (address with housenumbers referring to terraces or buildings)

what is the difference with
addr:housename (the name of the building)
+ addr:unit (the number inside this building) ?

Regards,
Marc