[Tagging] consider website=www.openstreetmap.org to be OK

Niels Elgaard Larsen elgaard at agol.dk
Sat Jan 30 17:04:04 UTC 2021

På Sat, 30 Jan 2021 13:06:42 +1000
Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> skrev:
>On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 at 12:57, Alan Mackie <aamackie at gmail.com> wrote:

In general we do not just tag literally what is on signs.

Signs often abbreviates names or leave out details due to lack of
physical spaces, or because they want to use a larger font.

But in OSM we can be precise.

I also add the "+45 " prefix to danish phone numbers even if it is not
on the sign, menu card, etc. Otherwise it would not work if a
foreigner try to make a reservation from outside DK using Osmand.

Opening hours signed as "11 til 10", I tag as "11:00-22:00"

Signed Danish access restrictions I try to map to english values
documented on the wiki.

A max_height signed as "2,4m" I tag as "2.4" (using the english decimal
separator)

It does make sense to omit the URL protocol on physical signs.
Customers would not remember the protocol and even if they did, most
would not bother to type it in their browser.

But the URL value in the OSM DB often end up as link, users can click,
and then the protocol should be used.

And a data consumer that, e.g., produces as printout can choose to
strip the protocol.

Yes, but their links does have https://

>& even www. for just
>m4a1gelblaster.com

They do not drop "www"
They just do not use "www" and just to be nice to people that type
it in anyway the server responds with a 301 Moved Permanently redirect.

There is nothing special about the name "www" in a URL apart from it
being popular in the past and there is no particular reason to have it
at all.

I think that https://www.openstreetmap.org should also omit www. It is
just a waste of space in the URL bar.