[Tagging] reduction of the number of different keys talking about booking.com

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 22:08:44 UTC 2021

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 at 21:18, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Jan 31, 2021, 18:38 by pla16021 at gmail.com:
>
> However, POIs that bookings.com have some interest in are placed
> wherever bookings.com says they are and not where OSM says
> they are.
>
> That is damage limited to maps.me (because they decided to
> display booking.com ads rather than correct data, for example
> one hotel was displayed inside Coloseum when I last checked).

Yes, that particular damage is limited to maps.me.  But it indicates
that bookings.com is not entirely trustworthy and makes tags
linking to them of questionable use.  Follow a link to
bookings.com and (if you get a valid page back) look at
the bookings.com map for the POI and that is similarly wrong.
So there will be conflicts if people follow a link from OSM to
bookings.com.

Also the damage leaks out of maps.me and onto us, because
maps.me states that it is using OSM.  So people who see
POIs in incorrect locations on maps.me will blame us.

--
Paul