[Tagging] Relationship between place=* and name=*

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 22:45:51 UTC 2021

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 at 23:23, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> In each case I do a lot of checking to verify that there is no known
> hamlet or locality of that name and that there is a named feature (house,
> bridge or whatever) matching that name in that location.  If I am certain
> it is wrong, I fix it.

What's an acceptable length of time to wait for a response from the
original mapper before fixing something yourself?

I spotted a couple of "forts" mapped, by the same person, in a small
country town, which would be more than somewhat unusual!

On checking, one was an old jail, but the other is located in a park, with
nothing visible on any of our imagery, nor Google street view or satellite,
& I can't find any reference to a fort, or anything other military post,
ever being built in this town.

I left a changeset comment a week ago now but no response yet (&, TBH, I'm
not expecting one as they haven't mapped for a few years now).

As I say, when is "long enough" to just fix it?

Thanks

Graeme