[Tagging] hiking route from= and to= tags

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Fri Jul 2 01:41:34 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 03:34 2021-07-01, Hufkratzer đã viết:
> I agree. Sometimes the name tag containes just something like "Red
> Route" or "Rundweg" and there is nothing available that could be added
> as "ref", "from", "to" or "via".
>
> "personalized adaptable template" sounds quite complicated to me. Why
> not propose to add something to this new iD functionality so that it
> shows the value of another tag when there is no "name", "ref", "from",
> "to" or "via" tag present? Perhaps "name:informal" or something else.
> Then every case could be handled without "abusing" the name tag.

iD's support for structured tags primarily reduces the need for
pseudo-structured naming like "ABC 123: Utopia => Metropolis" that's
common in public transportation tagging, but it just happens to be more
informative than what was there before for other kinds of routes (just
the ref). iD will prefer the name if it's there, so that's always an
option for routes like "Rundweg" that don't lend themselves to
structured tags.

> On 01.07.2021 09:37,  Peter Elderson wrote:
>> Looks good!
>> I think for recreational routes (for hiking, cycling, horse riding,
>> skiing, paddling, motorboat, skating), it is also an improvement, but
>> these are much more varied in labeling than PT and road routes.
>> Especially when considering heavily sectioned routes; hierarchically
>> ordered routes; two-directional routes where the two directions are in
>> one route relation; node network routes using numbered, coded and
>> named nodes as start/end points which are reflected in the labeling of
>> the routes; and combinations of these types.
>> Even when not considering 'pretty print'-wishes, it would be very hard
>> to design a single labeling format that contains all the elements that
>> mappers have stacked into (combinations of) the name, ref, note,
>> network, description and other tags of the recreational route relations.
>>
>> So, well done and it is an improvement, but, while it does apply to
>> all routes, I would not say it solves the labeling problem for all
>> routes, especially considering current tagging practices.
>>
>> At the moment, I think only a personalized adaptable template,
>> allowing free placement of text, punctuation and data elements in one
>> display string, would solve the route labeling issue for all routes.

Personalized templates would be a powerful feature, though I suspect it
would be a bit out of place with iD's zero configuration approach. It
might fit better once there's some affordance for personalized presets
or something along those lines. In the meantime, there's plenty of room
for more keys and special cases for specific types of routes.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us