[Tagging] hiking route from= and to= tags

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 10:51:53 UTC 2021

On 01/07/2021 01:11, Minh Nguyen wrote:
> Vào lúc 02:43 2021-06-26, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging đã viết:
>>

>> Jun 25, 2021, 22:24 by ml at osm.datendelphin.net:
>>
>>     But knowing the start and end of each segment (which was used as the
>>     name) helps maintaining the hiking network. So the change will
>> add the
>>     from=* and to=* tags to the Swiss wiki page to map the start and end
>>     place. That way, the name tag does not get misused, and the data is
>>     still there for mappers to use for maintenance.
>>
>> Seems good alternative to using fictional name as form of
>> mistagging for the renderer.

Agreed.

A related place where these could be used is on "superrelation segments"
- for example
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4087754#map=17/54.29405/-1.22487
, which is part of https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4087652 .  The
"thing with geometry" has a name that includes from and to in the name,
so that anything that processes that directly will get the name wrong:
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=18&lat=54.294414&lon=-1.226398
.

>> Once such tags become clearly used it may make sense to propose
>> supporting them in JOSM, iD, Vespucci etc in relation listings
>> (if name tag is missing then show "{from} - {to} hiking route" in
>> the name field)
>
> Non-name-based labeling has been implemented in iD for all kinds of
> route relations. [1] It'll be in the next release of iD, but you can
> try it out in the latest development mirror: try deleting the name=*
> tags from the relations that contain the selected way in [2], then
> reselect the way and look at the list of parent relations. The exact
> format depends on the localization you're using, but regardless it no
> longer relies on ASCII art. ;-)

Excellent!

The other bit of this (not really an issue for this list though) is
display of that in OSM-based maps and apps - currently even some
hiking-focused OSM-based apps fail to show what I'd have thought was
basic information (such as "am I actually legally allowed to walk here")
so enhanced relation support is likely a big ask for them.

> There's also a request to label a route's ref=* tag even if it has a
> name=* tag. [3]
>
> [1] https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/pull/8276
> [2]
> https://ideditor.netlify.app/#background=Bing&id=w316900907&map=19.00/37.33024/-121.90173